Sunday, April 13, 2014

We need Google.. today. Vallarie Perez SPC 260

The Googlization of our lives does absolutely compromise our privacy and independence. Anyone who hears or sees your name anywhere has the option of typing your name into Google and reading SOMETHING about you without your knowledge. They can even go as far as to search you in the white pages and access your home address and telephone number if they feel the need to do so. (I didn't know this until I was hired for an office job a few months ago.. it freaked me out.) Google has a pervasive capacity that is limitless. It disintegrates boundaries and provides access to things people who lived in past decades could have never imagined. I find myself wishing that I existed in the fifties or sixties quite often, and then I realize that wishing I existed in the past is pointless. What I admire about those decades though, is the fact that they were able to exist and get through life without being shackled to technology. There was a higher value placed upon establishing meaning on an individual level and a much lower level of dependence. Today's technology has created a false sense of security and validation, making us believe that people who know nothing about us actually care for a second about what we're doing. It makes us believe we're important, but the basis of these feelings, are illusive.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Vallarie, Google is all pervasive and has accumulated an enormous amount of information about all of us. And what is scary is that they are a private company, not a government that is (theoretically, at least) accountable to its citizens. Google doesn't answer to anyone. Sure, their slogan is "don't be evil." But if they chose to be evil they could do a lot of damage.

    ReplyDelete