Sunday, June 8, 2014

Heavy Books Light Analysis- Vallarie Perez

I'm guilty of wanting a lot of things that I don't necessarily need. I am a human being existing in the year 2014. That sentence alone exposes the fact that I probably value convenience over a lot of other qualities. It's embedded in our society. My point, is that I want a MacBook. I've wanted a MacBook for about three years now, and I still haven't gotten one. Since arriving to college, I noticed the amount of students that did have them, and when I looked into purchasing one, I realized, that well, I couldn't. Since then, I've resented the fact that I've had to lug the huge laptop we share as a family at home to campus when necessary. When I caught wind of this device called a "Kindle," it seemed cool, but didn't appeal to me as much as a MacBook did. The more I considered the option though, the more appealing it became, especially since it was far less expensive and I'd be able to access the required reading materials I needed for school via this device. While contemplating my options and doing some research, I thought about the "F Pattern" reading we did earlier in the term. I wondered then, does this tendency we have to scan versus read and critically analyze also carry over to and add to an even higher degree of falling victim to the "F Pattern." I do believe that a more quality analysis occurs when students are using actual textbooks as oppose to digital versions of the material, and I can't help but wonder if not only being able to access the material online, but further, implement devices as a "kindle" as main sources of information rather than turning pages in textbooks makes students even more negligent than previously hypothesized.

No comments:

Post a Comment